Friday, February 26, 2021
Self-Quarantine Period Begins Today
Our cadets should begin their period of self-quarantine today, Friday, February 26th, and continue in quarantine until their return to campus.
What does self-quarantine mean?
Self-quarantine is different from social distancing. It means doing more than simply wearing a mask and staying 6-feet away from others. When you self-quarantine for the required period of days prior to arrival at school, our expectation is that you will observe the following recommendations:
- Stay home. Don't go to work, engage in social activities, or visit any public places.
- Do not have close contact with others. You should stay in a well-ventilated room in your own living space. You shouldn't be spending time in close contact with family or friends. You need to stay away from anyone who might come in contact with an infected person.
- It's best to have separate sleeping quarters and to have your own bathroom. If you must share a bathroom, it is important to clean it after every use, using a disinfectant that contains at least 60% alcohol or bleach-based cleaning wipes.
- Wash your hands regularly using soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Monitor your health, checking your temperature daily and looking for any potential symptoms of infection such as coughing, fever, chills, muscle aches, changes in sense of taste or smell. Report any such symptoms to your healthcare provider.
Parents must confirm that their student has completed the required self-quarantine period by submitting the Spring Break Return - March 2021 form prior to arrival on campus through the Boardingware online software platform before the student will be allowed to check-in.
Boarding Cadets to Return from Spring Break on Sunday, March 7, 2021
Our boarding cadets will return from spring break by 7:00 PM on Sunday, March 7, 2021.
Our day students will join us on Monday morning, March 8, 2021 as we start back with in-person education to continue our Term 4.
This email is to remind you of the steps to follow as we prepare for this return, which will include.
- Self-Quarantine Period
- Test for COVID-19
- Upload test results and travel plans in Boardingware
1. Self Quarantine
We ask all cadets to self quarantine beginning Friday, February 26, 2021 and continuing until return to campus.
2. COVID-19 Test Result
Read the below very carefully to understand our requirements regarding COVID-19 testing prior to return to campus.
The first part of the policy to understand is that, generally speaking, cadets who test positive for COVID-19 are quarantined for a period of 10 days following the date of their positive test result. They may then be eligible to return to class after this 10-day quarantine has been completed, provided they have been symptom free for at least 48 hours. The date they are eligible to return for class is determined by our Head Nurse, Mrs. Heidi Yates, in consultation with our Academy Physician.
Our requirement for COVID-19 testing prior to return to campus is based on this policy. Simply follow the below steps:
A. Has your cadet tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 90 days?
- If your cadet has previously tested positive within the past 90 days, you must email that test report directly to Mrs. Heidi Yates in our Infirmary by email at email@example.com. Mrs. Yates will communicate any additional instructions to you directly regarding any further requirements or whether any adjustments to your return date may be required. Please email Mrs. Yates your test report as soon as possible.
B. If your cadet has NOT tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 90 days...
- If your cadet has NOT previously tested positive within the past 90 days, we ask that your cadet be tested for COVID-19 on or after Friday, February 26, 2021.
- It is best to get this test as early as possible on or after February 26th, so that if a cadet receives a positive result, he will still have time to quarantine as required before returning to school, without missing class time.
- If your cadet receives a negative result on this test, you must upload a copy of that test report to us through Boardingware prior to your cadet's return to campus.
- If your cadet receives a positive result to his test taken on or after February 26th, we ask that you email that test report directly to Mrs. Heidi Yates in our Infirmary by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mrs. Yates will communicate any additional instructions to you directly regarding any further requirements or whether any adjustments to your return date may be required. Please email Mrs. Yates your test report as soon as possible.
3. Complete "Spring Break Return - March 2021" Form in Boardingware
Log into your Boardingware parent account at https://app.boardingware.com to complete the Spring Break Return - March 2021 form for your cadet. Use this form to communicate your cadet's test results as well as your travel plans for return to campus.
Some parents are having difficulty accessing this form in Boardingware because they are missing one important step. When you click on the large plus icon to select "New Form" you then end up on a page like this one:
It may show that there are no forms to submit. This is because you haven't "selected" your cadet. This is the important step that some parents are missing.
Once you click on the circular photo area above your cadet's name, then you will see the forms available for that student.
Once you "select" your cadet, any relevant forms for that cadet become visible and ready for you to complete.
- Questions about our COVID-19 mitigation protocols may be directed to LTC Steve McCoy by email at email@example.com.
- Questions about testing requirements and procedures may be directed to our Infirmary by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions about accessing the Boardingware platform for parents may be directed to the Perkins Technology Center by email at email@example.com.
- Questions about travel plans may be directed to our Commandant's Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Strategic Communications & Marketing
Fork Union Military Academy