The offices of the Commandant’s Department, located in Jacobson Hall, facilitate the application and enforcement of the military component within the purview of barracks life. The student body is organized into the Corps of Cadets, which is divided into individual companies. Each company resides together in the barracks and is led by cadet officers and non-commissioned officers (NCOs). Each company has an assigned adult TAC officer who works with its members and officers, mentoring and instructing them on a daily basis.
The military responsibilities of the Commandant's Department consist of drill and ceremony, chain of command, barracks details, the proper wear of the uniform, as well as enforcing Academy rules and regulations. In addition, the Commandant’s Department supervises the demerit and merit system, and extra duty (ED) program, which are both used as disciplinary tools for rule infractions.
Our Commandant's Department is responsible for coordinating with you regarding your travel plans for major leaves and arranging shuttle and private hire transportation for our major leaves and end of the school year departures.
- Travel plans for major leaves are usually communicated to FUMA through our Boardingware online platform. You can learn more about our Boardingware software and how to set up your parent account and use Boardingware at this link.
- You may contact us with any travel-related questions by email to email@example.com.
Fork Union Military Academy provides transportation options for cadets traveling to and from certain airports, Amtrak, and Greyhound stations.
- We provide shuttle transportation, typically by 15-passenger mini-buses, for our mandatory leaves (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, and End of the Year Departure).
- At other times, and to certain other locations, we can provide private hire transportation.
Travel for cadets may require that you make arrangements for an escort to accompany your cadet if he is considered an "unaccompanied minor" based on the policies of your chosen transportation provider. Read more about our Unaccompanied Minors Escort Service below.
FUMA shuttle transportation will be available for mandatory leaves (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, and End of the Year) to the following locations at the costs stated:
|Location||One-Way Cost||Round-Trip Cost|
|Richmond Greyhound Station||$50||$100|
|Richmond AMTRAK Station (Staples Mill Road)||$50||$100|
|Richmond Airport (RIC)||$50||$100|
|Dulles Airport (IAD)||$75||$150|
|Washington National Airport (DCA)||$75||$150|
- The Shuttle will leave FUMA at 1300 hours (1:00 PM) at the start of each major leave break
- The Shuttle will pick up students from Richmond bus or train stations and airport at approximately 1730 hours (5:30 PM) on the day their leave ends.
- The Shuttle will pick up students from Washington DC airports (DCA and IAD) at approximately 1600 hours (4:00 PM) on the day their leave ends.
- Transportation to the above locations on any other day or any different times will be considered private hire.
- The shuttle will not take cadets to any other locations.
- We do not provide shuttle transportation to the Charlottesville bus/train stations or airport, but you can arrange private hire transportation for those destinations.
Transportation to one of the below locations on a day or at a different time than our shuttle transportation provides is considered private hire transportation.
|Location||Fee||Distance||Mileage Cost||Total Trip Cost|
|Charlottesville Greyhound Station||$45||68||$39||$84|
|Charlottesville Amtrak Station||$45||68||$39||$84|
|Charlottesville Airport (CHO)||$45||89||$52||$97|
|Richmond Greyhound Station||$50||127||$61||$111|
|Richmond Amtrak Station (Staples Mill Road)||$50||106||$61||$111|
|Richmond Airport (RIC)||$50||106||$74||$124|
|Dulles Airport (IAD)||$100||265||$137||$237|
|Washington National Airport (DCA)||$100||236||$154||$254|
Cadets traveling without their parents by air, train, or bus may be considered "unaccompanied minors" depending on their age and may be required to have an adult escort accompany him. The airlines, Amtrak, and Greyhound each have their own policies as to the age at which they require a minor to be escorted by an adult.
If your cadet requires an escort:
- he must be transported to the carrier by our private hire transportation service (not by shuttle transportation), at the costs specified above.
- FUMA will provide the unaccompanied minor escort service at additional fee of $25 per individual cadet, each way, which will be added to the private hire transportation cost listed above..
Children who are underage, according to the airlines’ rules, must be escorted to the ticket counter and through security by an adult whose name is provided to the airline by the parent. Per FAA regulation, a designated adult is required to remain at the terminal until the child boards the plane and until the plane takes off from the runway. In addition to the above fees, the airline may charge its own "unaccompanied minor” fee. Please check with the different carriers, as their requirements and fees are not the same.
The parent of the child requiring “unaccompanied minor” services must provide the airline advance notice of the name and phone number of the person escorting the minor through the airport and to his flight prior to the purchase of their tickets.
The parent must also provide the airline the name and phone number of the individual who is meeting the child at the final destination. This information is needed when the parent contacts the airline to purchase the “unaccompanied minor” service.
Amtrak and Greyhound also have additional requirements and/or fees. Please ensure you check with the carrier's requirements prior to purchasing a ticket. Please allow time at each location for completion of required forms and payment of fees.
If you have any questions related to travel or unaccompanied minors, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commandant Commandant's Department Military Transportation Handbook