Parent Home

Frequently Asked Questions


Who is the Primary Point of Contact for Boarding Student information? Who do parents contact with questions?

Will there be some type of regular (weekly) communication with cadet families?

Yes, there will be a weekly email to all cadet families with information and updates.

How can I speak with my cadet by telephone?

Each barracks room in Jacobson Hall is equipped with a telephone that cadets may use to keep in touch with family and friends. During the school year, the phones are turned on during specific parts of the daily schedule.

You can find the current Barracks Telephone Schedule at this link.

In the event of an emergency, if you need to contact your son outside of these hours please call the Guard Desk at (434) 842-4232.

Mail and Care Packages

How do I address mail and care packages to my cadet?

All of our cadets enjoy getting care packages from home! Below are the addresses you can use for sending mail and packages to your cadet:

Address for Cadet Mail (Letters, Envelopes, Magazines, etc.)

Cadet *First Name* *Last Name*
*Company Name*
 Company (i.e., Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, or Delta)
Fork Union Military Academy
P.O. Box 278
Fork Union, VA  23055

For example:
Cadet John Doe
Bravo Company

Fork Union Military Academy
P.O. Box 278
Fork Union, VA 23055

Address for Cadet Packages

(Packages sent via USPS, UPS, FEDEX, DHL)

Cadet *First Name* *Last Name*
*Company Name* Company (i.e., Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, or Delta)
Fork Union Military Academy
4744 James Madison Highway
Fork Union, VA  23055

For example:
Cadet John Doe
Bravo Company

Fork Union Military Academy
4744 James Madison Highway
Fork Union, VA 23055

Can I send food items to my cadet in a care package?

Yes! Cadets love food from home. But you might want to send enough to share, because you can be sure your son will receive some peer pressure in that regard! Also, be sure to provide sealed storage containers for any food so that it can be stored safely in his room.

We ask that you do not send glass items such as food in jars, drinking glasses, or glass bowls

What items are NOT allowed for cadets to have?

The below list are items that your cadet should NOT have on-campus or be sent in a care package:

  1. Cell phone
  2. Watches with Wi-Fi and cellular capabilities
  3. Tobacco, dip, electronic cigarettes
  4. Powder drinks, weight gainer, protein, creatine, or supplement powder
  5. Playing cards, dice, board games
  6. Mouthwash with alcohol
  7. Food with shells (sunflower seeds)
  8. Gum
  9. Aerosol can of any kind
  10. Pocket knives
  11. Cameras
  12. Thumb drives, CDs/DVDs, computer games
  13. Lighters
  14. Cash (FUMA campus is cashless)
  15. Instant shoeshine liquid
  16. iPods with Wi-Fi capabilities or cameras
  17. No hot plates or devices that heat liquid
  18. Electric blankets
  19. Plug-in air fresheners
  20. Vitamins or medicine unless approved by infirmary
  21. Glass items, jars, drinking glasses, or glass bowls
  22. Energy drinks of any kind (Red Bull, Monster, Starbucks, etc.)

The above list is not all-inclusive. If you have any questions about whether an item is permitted on campus, you may ask the TAC Officer of your son's company.


I’m not sure that my cadet got all of required uniform items. What do we do?

At the beginning of every year, there are many uniform items that may be delayed in being issued to students. This may include clothing items that need to be altered to size by our seamstress, or items that are back-ordered or have otherwise not yet arrived at our Hoffman Supply Center.

We make accommodations for students during the opening days of school who may be waiting to receive certain uniform items. You do not need to take any action on this until your cadet's TAC Officer or the Quartermaster tells him to report to the Hoffman Supply Center to pick up his uniform items.

If you have any issues or concerns and wish to bring these to the attention of MAJ Steve Wilson, our Quartermaster, you can reach him by email at .

The uniform my cadet was issued doesn’t fit. What do we do?

Uniforms are designed and tailored to meet the standards for correct military appearance. Sometimes the fit of a military uniform may feel or look different than a student has been familiar with in the wearing of his normal clothes. The placement of the waist, the length of the inseam, and other aspects of the fit of the uniform may be different than a student may prefer in the wearing of his civilian dress. The Quartermaster fits and tailors each uniform to meet the appearance standards required in our Corps of Cadets.

Occasionally there are some mistakes made in sizing each cadet and a young man may receive some uniform items that do not fit well. The cadet simply needs to report to the Hoffman Supply Center in a timely manner and let our Quartermaster know about the issue. Our Quartermaster will assist the cadet in obtaining uniform items that are a better fit.

We recommend your cadet leave the tags on uniform items until you know whether or not they fit properly so that they can be exchanged if needed.

If you have any issues or concerns and wish to bring these to the attention of MAJ Steve Wilson, our Quartermaster, you can reach him by email at

Will cadets receive laptops and backpacks?

Yes, each cadet in grades 9-12 will report to the Perkins Technology Center to arrange for the issue of their laptop and backpack over the course of the first several days of school.

Middle school students, at the request of their teachers, will likely be receiving their laptops later than our high school students. They will still be able to pick up their backpack at the Perkins Technology Center. They will be told later when they should report back to the Perkins Technology Center to be issued a laptop.


How can I learn what classes my son is taking and how he is doing academically?

Fork Union Military Academy uses the PowerSchool Parents Portal to provide parents access to grades and schedule information online.

You will receive an email from our Perkins Technology Center with complete instructions for accessing your son's information in PowerSchool.

The URL to access PowerSchool is:

If you have any issues or questions in accessing your PowerSchool account, you may email our Perkins Technology Center at .


If you have questions about your cadet's academic performance, you may reach out to your son's academic scheduler in our College Placement and Academic Services department:


What will my son be doing after class time ends in the afternoon?

The Academy requires all cadets to participate in a sport. Athletic time is scheduled for Monday-Friday.

In addition to athletic time, Mondays and Wednesdays are "Drill Days." This means that at the end of the class day, our cadets will be engaged in training, drill, band practice, or other activities of the Corps of Cadets under the supervision of the Commandant's Department, prior to beginning athletic activities at 1530.


Who do I contact if I have questions about my tuition and fees or my FACTS Tuition Management account?

You may direct your questions to Mrs. Jessica Maddox who handles all Accounts Receivable in our Business Office. Her email address is and her direct phone number is 434-842-4332.

Can I pay the incidental expenses (such as uniforms, fees, etc.) with a different form of payment than my tuition payments?

Yes, incidental expenses can be set up to auto-pay from a different credit card or bank account than the one used for your tuition payments.

All incidental invoices are added to the parents' FACTS account so that small payments can be made to it until the balance is paid. So you can use more than one credit card, checking, and/or savings account to pay those invoices.

You would need to manually make the smaller payments by clicking on the "Make a Payment" button in your FACTS account, then on the next screen you would pick the last payment option named "Other Amount." Then you can pick which invoice you would like to pay and how much to pay. Then click the "Next-Payment Method" at the bottom (it should highlight green). Enter the payment details and you should be ready to complete the payment.

How can I provide my cadet with an allowance/spending money?

FUMA is a cashless campus and your cadet should not have cash money on campus. All transactions, even with vending machines, are done by debit or credit card which you may provide for your cadet.


When and where do day students report each school day morning?

Day students will report in each morning by 0715 hours at the main office of the Commandant's Department to sign in. They will then report to the TAC Officer of their company.

When do day students depart campus at the end of the school day?

Day students will typically finish up their athletic participation by about 1730 hours. They will then be expected to report to their TAC Officer to receive any final instructions or updates for the following day. Prior to departing, they must then sign out in the main office of the Commandant's Department.

What if I need to drop my day student off earlier in the morning?

Day students who arrive early will report to the main office of the Commandant's Office. They may then either wait in the office or at another location as directed. They may join their company in the Estes Dining Hall during their scheduled breakfast time.

What if I need to pick up my day student later in the evening?

Day students may either wait in the office or at another location as directed. As usual, they will need to sign out at the main office of the Commandant's Department before departing campus.

What is the process if he needs to be picked up early or arrive late due to a medical appointment?

If your day student needs to go to an appointment with his doctor, dentist, orthodontist, etc. you simply need to contact our Infirmary at  and communicate the appointment information. We prefer that such appointments take place after the class day if possible.

What do I do if my son is sick and I need to keep him home?

In the event your son needs to stay home due to an illness, you need to email  to notify us of his absence.

A registered nurse from our infirmary will follow up with you later that day to learn more about the circumstances of your son's illness.

If he needs to stay home longer than two days, you will need to provide medical documentation in order for his absence to be counted as an excused absence.

What is the Inclement Weather Policy for Day Students?

In the event of inclement weather, all day students are expected to attend class and should make arrangements with their respective TAC Officer to stay overnight if hazardous traveling conditions exist or are expected.

To be clear, day students at Fork Union Military Academy are NOT subject to the Fluvanna County school system's "snow day" delays or cancellations. They must be in class as expected.

If the forecast is predicting possible hazardous traveling conditions that would impact travel to FUMA, day students should make arrangements to stay on campus. For example, if the forecast is for severe weather for Monday travel, cadets should plan to report to campus on Sunday.

Staying on Campus

If a day student decides to stay on campus, they must stay in the barracks. Day student cadets each have an assigned room—bed sheets and a pillowcase will be supplied. During their stay, all meals will be provided in the dining hall.

Day students staying on campus are expected to adhere to all rules and regulations in the barracks (i.e., CQ or study hall, no cell phones, lights out, etc.).

Pack a Bag

It is recommended that day student cadets who drive to campus keep a packed bag in their vehicle in the event of winter weather. Day students should have the following recommended supplies for an overnight stay in the barracks:

  • Uniform items for the following day

  • Blanket and pillow

  • PT uniform - t-shirt and shorts

  • Sweatshirt and sweatpants

  • Tennis shoes and socks

  • Underwear and white t-shirt

  • Towel and washcloth

  • Soap or body wash

  • Toothbrush and toothpaste

  • Brush or comb

  • Deodorant