The new summer school session is fast approaching and we are all making preparations to enjoy an outstanding time!
What day do I check in?
Sunday, July 5th
What time does check in start?
Registration begins at 9:00 AM on each check-in day and runs until 12:00 PM.
Anyone arriving after 1:00 PM must make prior arrangements with the business office for payment and the admissions office for registration.
Where do we check in?
All students and their families will start the check-in process in the Estes Dining Hall, building #16 on the campus map below.
What do we need to bring with us?
There are two kinds of items you need to bring with you on check-in day. The first are items you will need in order to register your student. The second are items of clothing, toiletries, and personal items your cadet will need to bring as a boarding student.
To prepare for registration you should bring the following items. Some of these documents can be mailed or faxed to the school in advance of registration, but you should also bring physical copies with you on registration day:
Health Forms and Physical Information
- All students are required to have an up-to-date health form and physical on file with our infirmary at the time of registration. Your student will not be allowed to remain on campus without these documents. Please make sure you have all of these documents in order prior to arriving on campus. We recommend that you bring copies of any forms that were mailed or faxed to the infirmary in advance of your registration. You can download a copy of the health form that needs to be completed from our website.
- Part of the health form must be completed and signed by the student's physician and includes the results of a physical examination completed within the past year.
- The health form also requires a complete record of immunizations. These immunizations are required by the Virginia Department of Health and may be different from the immunizations required by the student's previous school. A complete list of required immunizations is found in the health form.
- One of the immunizations required is a tuberculosis skin test completed within the past year. This is an annual requirement and must be completed before the student will be allowed to remain on campus. This test, also known as a PPD test, is done by making a small injection into the top layer of skin on the inside of the forearm. The skin test reaction must then be examined and read by a medical professional two days later. While this test can be administered in our infirmary on check-in day, it will take additional time and will cost $50.00 for the test. You can have this test performed by your physician's office in advance of check-in and it will most likely be covered by your insurance and you will save time on your student's check-in day if you have completed this test in advance.
- You will need to bring your cadet's health care card showing his health insurance coverage. All cadets are required to have health insurance coverage purchased from a US-based company while attending Fork Union Military Academy.
For your convenience, registration fees and tuition payments can be made online using a credit or debit card at http://www.forkunion.com/tuitionpayment. You will need your 4-digit (or 5-digit) Cadet ID number found on your enrollment agreement. Payment arrangements must be completed by the time of registration. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Jessica Maddox in our business office at 434-842-4332 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may pay on campus at the time of your registration up until 12:00 PM.
There are also certain items of clothing, toiletries, and personal effects that you should bring for your boarding cadet.
- A number of these items must be brought from home.
- Some of these items may be brought from home or purchased from our Hoffman Supply Center (also known as the Quartermaster's Office).
- Required uniform items must be issued by the Quartermaster.
You may wish to bring standard school supplies (pens, pencils, paper, notebooks, etc.). We do not provide a detailed list of required school supplies, as the items needed for any specific classes may differ. Most needed supplies are available in the Quartermaster's Office.
Does my son need to have a haircut?
All cadets are required to have a regulation military-style haircut and be clean-shaven at all times.
Our barber shop will be open on check-in days and our barber will be available to give a regulation haircut to arriving cadets. All barber fees for our barber shop are included in the cost of tuition.
What will happen on check-in day?
On the day you arrive on campus, you will start the registration process in the Dorothy Thomas Estes Dining Hall. You will proceed in an orderly process through a series of stations in the dining hall where you will get name tags, a registration check sheet, maps of campus, and meet briefly with the business office staff to confirm payment arrangements.
From the dining hall you will continue on to other campus buildings to check in with the Infirmary to confirm all health forms are in order, get barracks room assignments, get a haircut at the barber shop if needed, and then pick up uniforms and supplies from the Quartermaster.
After lunch at 12:00 PM in the Estes Dining Hall, a brief orientation meeting will be held for parents and cadets in the dining hall at 1:00 PM. Following this orientation meeting, you will have an opportunity to say your goodbyes and then parents and family will depart.
The check-in process is relatively quick and orderly, but you may encounter lines at various locations as we process in all of our cadets, so we recommend you wear comfortable shoes and be prepared for a bit of walking around our central campus.
Can you help us with transportation to campus from the airport, train station, or bus terminal?
No, we are not able to provide ground transportation arrangements for summer school. It is your responsibility to arrive at our campus.
Feel free to call or email our Admissions Office (email@example.com or 434-842-4205) if you have any questions prior to your check-in day.