Registration and Check-In for New and Returning Cadets
The new academic year is fast approaching and we are all making preparations to enjoy an outstanding year!
What day do I check in?
August 9—Prep and Junior Prep football players report (for players in grades 9-12, plus those 7th and 8th graders wishing to try out for junior prep)
August 14—Prep soccer players report (for players grades 11 and 12, plus those 9th and 10th graders wishing to try out for prep soccer)
August 14—Cadet Officers and Leadership Trainees report (for those invited to attend by the Commandant’s Department)—Please report to the Estes Dining Hall at 0800 on Monday 14 August 2017 in Class A Summer uniform, clean-shaven, without rank, and with a regulation haircut.
August 15—Postgraduate football players report
August 21—New cadets report
August 23—Returning cadets report
What time does check in start?
Registration begins at 8:00 AM on each check-in day.
Where do we check in?
Unless otherwise notified, all students and their families should start the check-in process in the Estes Dining Hall, building #16 on the campus map below.
What do we need to bring with us?
There are two kinds of items you need to bring with you on check-in day. The first are items you will need in order to register your student. The second are items of clothing, toiletries, and personal items your cadet will need to bring as a boarding student.
To prepare for registration you should bring the following items. Some of these documents can be mailed or faxed to the school in advance of registration, but you should also bring physical copies with you on registration day:
- Health Forms and Physical Information: All students are required to have an up-to-date health form and physical on file with our infirmary at the time of registration. Your student will not be allowed to remain on campus without these documents. Please make sure you have all of these documents in order prior to arriving on campus. We recommend that you bring copied of any forms that were mailed or faxed to the infirmary in advance of your registration. You can down load a copy of the health form that needs to be completed from the Download Forms Center of our website. If you have question regarding this, please contact our Infirmary at 434-842-4310 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part of the health form must be completed by the student's physician and includes the results of a physical examination completed within the past year.
The health form also requires a complete record of immunizations. These immunizations are required by the Virginia Department of Health and may be different from the immunizations required by the student's previous school. A complete list of required immunizations is found in the health form.
One of the immunizations required is a tuberculosis skin test completed within the past year. This is an annual requirement and must be completed before the student will be allowed to remain on campus. This test, also known as a PPD test, is done by making a small injection into the top layer of skin on the inside of the forearm. The skin test reaction must then be examined and read by a medical professional two days later. While this test can be administered in our infirmary on check-in day, it will take additional time and will cost $50.00 for the test. You can have this test performed by your physician's office in advance of check-in and it will most likely be covered by your insurance and you will save time on your student's check-in day if you have completed this test in advance.
You will need to bring your cadet's health care card showing his health insurance coverage. All cadets are required to have health insurance coverage purchased from a US-based company while attending Fork Union Military Academy. If your cadet is an international student, you will be required to purchase a policy that covers him while at FUMA. Information on the International Health Care insurance coverage available while at FUMA is available on our website in the Download Forms Center.
- Official Transcript: Students who are registering for the first time at Fork Union Military Academy should bring a copy of their most current official school transcript to registration. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our guidance office at 434-842-4203 or email our Director of Guidance, COL Rob Feathers, at email@example.com.
- Payment Information: For your convenience, registration fees and tuition payments can be made online using a credit or debit card at www.forkunion.com/tuitionpayment. You will need your 4-digit cadet ID number found on your enrollment agreement. Payment arrangements must be completed by the time of registration. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Kayla Spillman in our business office at 434-842-4332 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are also certain items of clothing, toiletries, and personal effects that you should bring for your boarding cadet.
- A number of these items must be brought from home.
- Some of these items may be brought from home or purchased from our supply center (known as the Quartermaster's Office).
- Required uniform items must be issued by the Quartermaster.
- Lists of required and suggested items to bring can be found on the Uniform and Quartermaster Supplies page in our Download Forms Center.
- A suggested packing list for new cadets is also available on the Uniform and Quartermaster Supplies page.
Does my son need to have a haircut?
All cadets are required to have a regulation military-style haircut and be clean-shaven at all times.
If you wish to save time on check-in day, we recommend that your cadet arrive on campus with a regulation haircut, trimmed closely, less than one inch in length on the top with tapered sides and back, and sideburns not extending below the middle of the ear.
Our barber shop will be open on check-in days and our barber will be available to give a regulation haircut to arriving cadets. All barber fees for our barber shop are included in the cost of tuition.
What will happen on check-in day?
On the day you arrive on campus, you will start the registration process in the Dorothy Thomas Estes Dining Hall. You will proceed in an orderly process through a series of stations in the dining hall where you will get name tags, a registration check sheet, maps of campus, and meet briefly with the business office staff to confirm payment arrangements. You will also speak briefly with staff from our Guidance Office, the Parent's Association, and our athletic department's NCAA Compliance coordinator.
From the dining hall you will continue on to other campus buildings to get mailbox assignments, check in with the Infirmary to confirm all health forms are in order, get barracks room assignments, check in with our technology center regarding laptops, meet with our athletic trainer to complete a required concussion screening test, get a haircut if needed, and then pick up uniforms and supplies from the Quartermaster.
After this whirlwind and active tour of the campus, you will report to the Jacobson Hall barracks and unpack.
After lunch, a brief mandatory orientation meeting will be held for parents and cadets. Following this orientation meeting, you will have an opportunity to say your goodbyes and parents will depart the campus.
The check-in process is relatively quick and orderly, but you may encounter lines at various locations as we process in all of our cadets, so we recommend you wear comfortable shoes and be prepared for a bit of walking around our central campus.
Feel free to call or email our Admissions Office (email@example.com or 434-842-4205) if you have any questions prior to your check-in day.