To the Parents and Family of our Cadets, Thank you for sending your young man to FUMA. We know God’s plans for us are for good and FUMA is part of that good with preparation of our young men for the future. As we begin the new year, it’s important to provide you with an update on the Academy. We remain one of the largest military prep schools in the United States with over 330 young men enrolled during the school year so far. We are following COVID-19 protocols as we strive to provide a safe and meaningful on-campus experience. You made the right choice.
To our Alumni, Friends, and Supporters, thank you for remaining connected to Fork Union Military Academy and staying interested in our school's well-being. We value you and appreciate your involvement with us.
Update on Our School Year So Far:
- Our Department of College Counseling & Scheduling is the best I’ve seen in my three years at FUMA with a systematic and personalized approach.
- During COVID-19, everything seems to take twice as long and is only half as effective so we are putting extra time and effort into our college placement, counseling, and “next steps” process.
- I just found out recently that one of our seniors was accepted to the US Coast Guard Academy!
- Alumni who are now in college come back to visit and tell us our academics prepared them well for the next level.
- Our dual-enrollment program is helping our cadets save time and money by earning high school AND college credit for certain courses.
- Many of our fall sports student-athletes are already receiving scholarship offers.
- I noted several alumni in college bowl games, NFL playoffs, in the NBA, one playing for a professional basketball team in Doha, Qatar, and one will swim for the Egyptian team in the Tokyo Olympics this summer.
- Our winter sports are practicing and we are able to do so with the COVID-19 protocols in place—it takes extra work, but our cadets are disciplined and follow the rules.
- Clubs have restarted and are providing significant extra-curricular experiences and fun for cadets.
- Many cadets become friends for life.
Excitement for the New Year:
- We are in the process of making decisions regarding Spring Break and will communicate those as soon as possible.
- We continue to plan a full schedule of academic, athletic, and special events, though our event calendars are subject to change based on the situation with COVID-19 (Link to School Calendar).
- We are making plans for an Alumni Weekend event, though we may have to hold it later in the year than we traditionally do. We'll put out more details soon.
- We’ll graduate our Middle School on May 19 and our Upper School on May 21.
- We are planning on having Summer School and Summer Camps such as football, basketball, and father-and-son.
We have a strong foundation and one that will not be washed away in sinking sand. We stand on the solid rock which is the word of the Lord. We stand, we pledge, we pray, we do push-ups, and physics. God has blessed FUMA. Tough times never last, but tough people do. Be tough and press on doing good.
Colonel David L. Coggins, USMC (Ret.)
Fork Union Military Academy