Colonel David Coggins, President of FUMA, announced this past month that he is starting a new tradition at Fork Union this week: The Bravo Zulu Awards.
In the US Navy, ships use signal flags to send messages, and the flags representing the letters "B" and "Z," when used together, send the message "Bravo Zulu" which means "Well done!"
This week, Colonel Coggins was pleased to recognize the following persons with the Bravo Zulu Award for their outstanding performance:
- Mr. Rich Taddei, Assistant Athletic Director, does an outstanding job overseeing the day-to-day care of the Academy grounds. He went above and beyond the call of duty in preparing the Hardy Cross Country Course for last week’s Fork Union Invitational meet hosting 40 teams after a significant amount of rain. Bravo Zulu, Rich Taddei!
- Captain Danny Bunn served the Academy as an athletic intern and part-time member of the Commandant’s Department staff last year. This year, he transitioned to the classroom for the first time and has done a wonderful job adjusting to his new role during Terms 1 and 2. While teaching PG Writing, he has also continued to work with the Prep Football team as an assistant coach. All the while, Captain Bunn is working behind the scenes on his MAT in Special Education at Liberty University. Bravo Zulu, Danny Bunn!
- Cadet Sergeant Connor Smith earned high marks for the first term and is starting out this term working hard towards academic success. He also didan outstanding job leading in the barracks and the classroom this week. Some leadership traits he exemplifies best are honesty, integrity, confidence, and the ability to inspire other cadets. Bravo Zulu, Cadet Smith!
- Cadet Sergeant Reagan Hayes is the medic for Bravo Company. He is responsible for accurately checking and recording temperatures daily for his company. He is a great leader and leads by example. Bravo Zulu,Cadet Hayes!
- Cadet Corporal Mark Boyd helped lead his Reds team to a victory in football this week. His blocking was crucial for the offense to put points on the scoreboard. Boyd embodies the Fork Union motto of Body, Mind, and Spirit. Bravo Zulu, Cadet Boyd!
- Cadet Cody A. Young made both a receiving and a rushing touchdown in Sunday’s football game against Myrtle Beach, securing their third straight win this season with a 46-8 victory. Bravo Zulu, Cadet Young!
"We are proud of our Cadets, Faculty and Staff for all they do," said Colonel Coggins. This was another great week at FUMA. We have no COVID-19 cases amongst our Cadets, Faculty, Staff or supporting personnel on campus. A Bravo Zulu to the Fork Union Military Academy community, which includes all of us, Alumni, Board of Trustees, Alumni Board, Parents, Donors, Friends and retired faculty/staff for your prayers and support. We go forward together... In God We Trust! Go FUMA!"