Current Job Openings:
Director of Development -- Alumni Affairs
Job Title: Director of Development – Alumni Affairs
Department: Development and External Affairs
Direct Supervisor: Vice President for Development and External Affairs
Essential Job Functions and Requirements:
The Director of Alumni Affairs is a member of the Fork Union Military Academy’s (the “Academy”) Development team. He/She will be responsible for the planning and implementation of programs and projects that strategically engage the Academy’s alumni in strengthening philanthropic and social programs that provide tangible benefits to the Academy, its alumni and its current students.
Serving as an ambassador, the Director of Alumni Affairs is charged with securing philanthropic and volunteer commitments from alumni to:
1) Provide; financial support, professional expertise and service;
2) Collaborating with colleagues in the Academy’s administrative offices (including, but not limited to Admissions, Development and Communications)
3) To create and maintain pathways for alumni participation that advance the goals of the Academy;
4) Partnering with the his/her Development colleagues to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward alumni annual and major giving; and,
5) Serving as a liaison between the Alumni Association Board of Directors, The Fork Union Military Academy Sports Hall of Fame (SHOF) volunteer committee and, the Academy’s administrative leadership.
The Academy’s alumni community currently numbers approximately 16,000, of whom approximately 12,000 may be reached via current contact information.
All attendees who did not graduate, degreed alumni and post graduate students are counted as members of the Academy’s Alumni Association.
Alumni membership is represented by the Academy’s Alumni Association and its Board of Directors.
Knowledge, Skills, abilities and personal characteristics:
· Work closely with the Alumni Association Board of Directors, arranging its meetings, staffing its committees and ensuring strong and productive relationships between its members and the academic and administrative leadership; serve as the Academy’s liaison to the Academy’s Alumni Association and its Board of Directors.
- Plan, implement and promote alumni programs that support the Academy's strategic plan as well as the fundraising, social media communications and alumni engagement goals for the Academy in collaboration with colleagues within the Development Office.
- Develop and submit for approval by the Vice President for Development and External Affairs annual strategic, communications and operating plans with associated annual fundraising goals.
- Manage and expand the Academy’s Alumni Association Class Agent program ensuring its growth through special events and social media and by establishing and growing endowed scholarships for every living alumni class.
- Manage the Bi-Annual Fork Union Military Academy Sports Hall of Fame event which includes:
- Providing structure and administrative support for the SHOF Planning Committee
- Helping to identify appropriate candidates for SHOF membership
- Planning all special events promoting the SHOF Weekend
- Identifying and securing corporate sponsorship for the SHOF golf tournament and induction ceremony.
- Working with the FUMA Communications team to professionally promote the SHOF weekend events using print, broadcast, web and social media outlets.
- Ensure accurate and complete alumni database records; capture contact, biographical and career information of alumni via surveys, projects (e.g. alumni directory), correspondence, website, postal returns, etc.
- Establish and build social and philanthropic relationships with a wide range of alumni, locally, regionally, nationally and internationally; maintain regular communication with alumni via direct contact, email blasts, alumni web pages, social and mobile media platforms and print publications.
- Educate graduating students about alumni benefits and engage them in early-stage philanthropic and social programs that keep them connected to the Academy and its alumni constituency.
- Collaborate closely with FUMA Development colleagues in increasing philanthropic support from alumni; routinely identify and qualify alumni prospects for gifts; communicate development-related activities via written contact reports filed in Abila Fundraising 50 database and attendance at prospect management meetings.
- Raise funds for special projects, special events and scholarship support from each class in collaboration with FUMA Development colleagues.
- Work extensively to build relationships with the Academy youngest alumni leading to more frequent engagement of this demographic special events on campus and regionally.
- A minimum of two years of experience in alumni relations and external affairs with demonstrated accomplishment in fostering productive relationships with volunteers and developing volunteer leadership.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, together with the ability to work collaboratively and courteously with colleagues throughout the Institute, alumni, other constituents and the public.
- The demonstrated ability to strategize, implement and build constituency programs and activities, along with a talent for motivating volunteers.
- Demonstrably strong writing, planning and organizational skills.
- Flexibility and initiative, as well as the ability to work independently, combined with the skills for thriving in a team environment to achieve institutional goals.
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines.
- Extensive experience with Abila Fundraising 50 database or a similar constituent database.
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Being an alumnus of the Academy is preferred but not required.
- Bachelor's degree.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:30-4:30, travel extensively and works weekends as needed – especially during peak times of Fall and Spring.
Educational Requirements: Bachelor's degree and related experience.
Plumber full time
Housekeeping full time
Maintenance Worker Full time
Call Maintenance Department 434-842-4340
Candidates interested in applying for employment for posted positions only should email a resume and cover letter to HR@fuma.org.
No phone calls or paper copies please. We will only contact candidates invited to interview.
MUST PASS BACKGROUND CHECK AND DRUG TEST.
Fork Union Military Academy is a Christian boarding & day school that has been building young men in body, mind, and spirit since 1898. FUMA seeks dedicated faculty and staff professionals who see this school's mission as their own and will strive to support the values of the institution.
Teaching contracts are generally for 9 months and all teachers are expected to participate in 2 outside activities in addition to teaching, such as sports coaching or student club sponsorship. Staff positions are generally 12 month contracts.
Professional development is encouraged and supported. FUMA offers a full complement of employee benefits for full-time employees, including participation in group health, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance; a 403(b) retirement plan and Paid Time Off.
Fork Union Military Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Fork Union Military Academy to provide equal opportunity with regard to all terms and conditions of employment. The Academy complies with federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, sex, or any other legally protected characteristic.
You may download a copy of our employment application in PDF format below.