The Lt. Gen. John E. Jackson, Jr. Foundation for Education
Founded in 2010 by Mr. Bach Callaway and Dr. Phuong Le Callaway, and their family and friends, The Lt.Gen. John E. Jackson, Jr. Foundation for Education has been established to provide enhanced educational opportunities for students and staff members at Fork Union Military Academy.
The Callaways are longtime friends of General Jackson and his family and benevolent supporters of Fork Union Military Academy during his tenure here as President. When the Callaways immigrated from Vietnam and arrived in northern Virginia, it was General Jackson and his wife Barbara who helped teach them English in a program sponsored by the Jackson's church.
Dr. Callaway now works for the National Transportation Safety Board and wished to establish an endowed account with several specific program goals as a way of honoring her friend, General Jackson, and supporting the mission of the Academy into the future, beyond General Jackson's retirement this coming July. Dr. Callaway, along with her family and friends, provided the initial contributions to create this endowed fund.
The Lt. Gen. John E. Jackson, Jr. Foundation for Education supports (1) Scholarship opportunities for financially deserving cadets at Fork Union Military Academy, with a preference for a cadet who has an interest or intent to attend the U.S. Air Force Academy or to attend an accredited college or university, with a preference in personnel management/human resources management, (2) Enhanced educational, sports and community service opportunities for FUMA cadets and staff, and (3) Informational sessions, including advocacy and outreach activities, to help educate members of the Fork Union Military Academy and community about the mission and programs of The Lt.Gen. John E. Jackson, Jr. Foundation for Education.
The Lt.Gen. John E. Jackson, Jr. Foundation for Education Fund supports seven specific program goals:
- The Lt.Gen. John E. Jackson, Jr. Leadership Excellence Fund supports outstanding cadets who demonstrate extraordinary leadership qualities and character, with a preference for a cadet who has an interest or intent to attend the U.S. Air Force Academy;
- The Dr. Phuong Le Callaway & Family & Friends Academic Excellence Fund supports outstanding cadets, preferably with a 4.0 or better average, who have been accepted to an accredited college and university in any of the following curriculum: a) Personnel management/human resources management; b) Information technology/information systems; c) Business and management; d) Education; and e) Engineering;
- The Lt.Gen. John E. Jackson, Jr. & Mrs. Barbara Quisenberry Jackson Library Fund supports the Library Fund to purchase books for the FUMA Library as received in order to assist current operational use at the donors’ and Jacksons’ discretion;
- The Lt.Gen. John E. Jackson, Jr. Honor System Fund supports a selected cadet who demonstrates academic achievement and consistently conducts himself in accordance to the FUMA honor system codes or who consistently is reliable and earns the trust of the cadets in his team, faculty and staff;
- The Lt.Gen. John E. Jackson, Jr. Extracurricular Excellence Fund assists cadets who demonstrate leadership and academic achievement and who strongly participate in sports and/or community activities;
- The Lt.Gen. John E. Jackson, Jr. Connection Fund is be used for advocacy and outreach programs and/or may support awards to a cadet and/or a FUMA staff member and/or an alumnus who demonstrates excellent leadership and team work in promoting the mission and the programs of the Lt.Gen John E. Jackson, Jr. Foundation for Education, resulting in enhanced financial contributions for the foundation;
- The Lt.Gen. John E. Jackson, Jr. Barracks Fund supports the Academy's existing Barracks Fund for immediate use in building the new barracks, Jacobson Hall, as received at the donors’ and Lt.Gen. Jackson’s direction.
The Callaways invite contributions to this fund from all who wish to take part and honor the Jacksons. Donations may be given online at this link.
Dr. Callaway has also penned a fund-raising cookbook, with proceeds from its sale going to support this fund. Copies of the cookbook are available online at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/callawayphuong