For more than a century, Fork Union Military Academy has educated thousands of young men who have become highly successful entrepreneurs, businessmen, educators, clergymen, politicians, doctors, lawyers, and actors.
Success Stories - Our Alumni
Below is a sampling of some FUMA alumni you might recognize.
- Thomas H. Davis – Founder and former Chairman of Piedmont Aviation, Inc. (now known as USAirways).
- Edward R. Telling – Former Chairman and CEO of Sears (1978-1985).
- Congressman Tim Holden – Represents Pennsylvania's 17th District in the U. S. House of Representative (1993-present).
- Kevin Plank – President and Founder of Under Armour Performance Apparel.
- Jerome Johnson Richardson (Jon) – former President of Carolina Panthers Stadium (Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, NC).
- Edward H. Jennings – President of Ohio State University 1981-1990, Interim President, 2002.
- David Huddleston - Actor, appearing in The Big Lebowski, Blazing Saddles, Brian's Song, Smokey and the Bandit II, How the West Was Won, and dozens more movies and television shows.
- Billy Campbell – Actor, appearing in Disney’s “Rocketeer”; “Once and Again”, and appearances on numerous TV shows including “Fraiser” and “The Practice”. Awards include the 2000 People's Choice Award for Favorite Male performer in a new series, as well as nominations for the 2000 Golden Globes as Best Actor in a Drama series and the 2000 TV Guide Awards Favorite Male Performer in a New Series.
- Lloyd A. Dobyns - Former NBC News reporter and correspondent, and later author of business and management books. Best known as host of the “NBC News Overnight” and “Weekend” shows in the late ’70s and early ’80s.
- John Bassett Vaughan – Retired CEO of Vaughan Furniture Company. Has served as a board member of the Southern Furniture Manufacturing Association, and President and Chairman of the American Furniture Manufacturing Association Board. In October 2000, Mr. Vaughan was inducted into the American Furniture Hall of Fame.
- Taylor Vaughan – Current Executive Vice President of Vaughan Furniture Company.
- Charles R. Daniel – Editorial Cartoonist for Knoxville News Sentinel, publisher of four books, including a collection of his cartoons.
- General John T. Chain, Jr. - Served two one-year tours in combat during Vietnam War. Served as Commander in Chief, Strategic Air Command.
- Daniel Edward Panoz – Family owns Panoz Auto Development Company and Panoz Motor Sports.
- Robert S. Bloxom – Elected in 1978 to the Virginia House of Delegates, current Secretary of Agriculture and Forestry in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- William Knox Martin - International aviation pioneer who was the first test pilot for William Boeing; first pilot to fly across the Colombian Andes; first pilot to fly airmail delivery in Colombia; and first Fork Union cadet to appear on a postage stamp in Colombia.